Counselling is a process designed to give you time, space, focus and encouragement to explore your personal challenges and reach a better understanding of what is going on for you.
The aim of the counsellor is to create a comfortable environment which should help you feel safe, relaxed, supported and connected
The relationship between you and your counsellor will be different from any other relationship that you have. They are there for you and base the relationship with you on trust, empathy, and respect. The counsellor is trained to listen without judgement or blame.
What counselling should help you with
The process will help you to
- Express your true feelings and be honest with yourself
- Understand your situation more objectively
- Help you to make connections with behaviours that don’t serve you well in the present.
- Change negative behavioural attitudes and patterns
- Make better-informed decisions from the choices available to you
- Develop a higher level of self-awareness with tools for you to draw on in the future
- Establish a better way of relating to yourself and others.
How to choose a counsellor
- Always have a quick chat on the phone to make sure you feel connected to the counsellor you are speaking too
- Establish the model of counselling the counsellor uses and Google it to find out how it can assist you.
- One size does not fit all when it comes to counselling, so make sure you find the right fit for you
- Ensure your counsellor is qualified, has been a client and received personal counselling, supervised as a counsellor, and is committed to ongoing professional development
- Ask for testimonials, they will give you an insight into what other clients have said to bring you peace of mind
- If you don’t feel comfortable with your counsellor on your first session and don’t feel a sense of relief, find another counsellor
“The benefit of counselling to me is that you have the freedom to really open up and talk about things. I found Florence a fantastic support during an exceedingly difficult time. Her straightforward approach was exactly what I needed to gain greater clarity and perspective on my situation. I wouldn’t have believed beforehand how helpful the counselling could have been. It was a real lifesaver and Florence is brilliant.”
Every day this week we will post a testimonial for you to read.
If you ever just need information about models of counselling the different types of therapy and the difference between psychiatry, psychology and counselling please feel free to lift the phone and call us on 0141 353 9373. You can also use the contact form on our Contact page to get in touch with us.